Meh! It's getting colder out in New York. But you know what colder temperatures mean? Stews! Roasts! Baked things! I like these things a lot if you haven't noticed.
There is nothing more comforting than chili, and when you snuggle it into zucchini boats...well, that's just fun. So this recipe does just that. Warming + a little bit fancier than your typical chili situation. Enjoy this one!
Inspired by Pinch of Yum
- 1 pound pork sausage, removed from its casing
- 1 can (15.5 oz) black beans, drained + rinsed
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground chipotle chile powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 can (16 oz) mild salsa
- 3-4 zucchini
- Olive oil
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar jack cheese
- Start by browning the sausage in a large pan without oil on medium heat. Use a spoon to break down the sausage into smaller pieces as it browns. Keep stirring until the sausage is completely brown.
- At this point add the black beans, cumin, chipotle chile, paprika + salsa. Stir to combine. Let the chili simmer for five minutes on the heat. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Prepare the zucchini by slicing each in half length-wise, then scoop out the seeds to create a place for the chili to sit in.
- Coat the bottom of a large roasting dish with olive oil. Add the zucchini halves, skin-side down to the dish in one layer. Gently scoop the chili into each zucchini half until full. Top the zucchini halves with the cheddar jack cheese.
- Bake the dish for 30 minutes until the cheese melts + the zucchini softens. Enjoy warm.