Why am I the last one to know about everything? Because I don't think I received the memo about shrubs.
After listening to this podcast about them + then watching this video about them (side note, I'm obsessed with Whitney Adams), I knew I should probably make up for lost time. When I received a little bottle of chai pear shrub from Element [Shrub] in a Hatchery box, I knew it was on.
Although making your own shrub isn't that difficult, Element [Shrub] has really awesome combinations: pineapple turmeric, cranberry hibiscus + honeydew jalapeño are a few. But I think chai pear is kind of perfect for this weird weather we've been having in New York.
So here's the drink, a kind of compromise with the weather. It's lips puckering sour with shrub + lemonade. If you're more into sweet things, be sure to add more sugar. Otherwise sip on.
Chai pear lemonade
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 1.5 cups water
- 1 tablespoon shrub (per serving)
- sparkling water, to top off
- fresh pear, lemon peel + star anise, for garnish
- Combine the white sugar + lemon juice in a tight-sealed container. Vigorously shake to combine. Add the water, then vigorously shake the mix again.
- To serve fill each class halfway with the lemonade mixture. Add 1 tablespoon of the shrub. Top off each glass with sparkling water for some fizz. Serve each drink with a slice of pear, lemon peel, star anise or all three. Drink up.