Last weekend was busy. Not only was it Mother's Day, but also my Dad's birthday. Basically, it was a weekend destined for good dessert. What's better for a duel Mother's Day/Dad's Birthday weekend than a strawberry cheesecake?
Nothing. Well, actually there are tons of delicious things to eat when celebrating, but in my family cheesecake is kind of the tops.
One issue, I didn't have a recipe for one. So instead of buying one like a normal person, I experimented by creating my own. It took a few tries, but I'm really proud of this one. It's creamy + nutty + fruity. It's just like a classic cheesecake, but there's a nut crust which takes it up a notch.
Also there's a secret ingredient that makes the cheesecake slightly pink. Scroll down for the recipe to see what it is!
- 2.5 cups walnuts
- 1 cup hazelnuts
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 3 8-oz packages of cream cheese, room-temperature
- 1 small red beet, peeled + boiled
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 pint heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 1 pint of strawberries, hulled + sliced
- Preheat the oven to 300 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a food processor combine the walnuts, hazelnuts, butter + maple syrup. Pulse until the mixture forms a moist crumb.
- Add the crumbs to a springform pan + press them firmly into the base + up the sides of the pan. You might want to wrap the pan in tinfoil to prevent any leakage.
- Clean your food processor (unless you have two, I'm jealous) to make the filling. Add the cream cheese + the beet. Pulse to combine, making sure the beet gets combined. Add the sugar + vanilla extract + continue pulsing. Add each egg one at a time, pulsing in between each.
- Add the filling to the crust + bake in the oven for an hour and twenty minutes, or until firm in the center.
- While the cheesecake is baking, prepare the whipped cream by beating the heavy cream + white sugar in a bowl until whipped.
- Once the cheesecake is done, remove from the oven + allow it to cool in the fridge. Before serving, top the cheesecake with the whipped cream + strawberries.