I like keeping things flexible.
It's impossible to actually schedule anything with me because I'm truly a homebody at heart, preferring to cook something than go out to Sunday brunch. But that being said, I love both things so keeping things flexible to what mood strikes is key.
I also like to keep my food flexible, building upon base recipes that fit whatever flavor I'm looking for. This kale salad is one of them.
I was reluctant to the whole kale fad, but now that it's died down a bit I'm ready to indulge. This salad has a simple, lip-puckering vinaigrette that stands up to hearty kale, but what you put on top can change with the seasons.
I like the combination of fennel, hazelnuts, and blue cheese, but I would even add some sliced stone fruit (peaches! cherries!) or some super ripe tomatoes to take advantage of what's available right now. Dig in.
Kale salad with fennel and hazelnuts
- 1 large bunch of kale, stems removed + roughly chopped
- 1/2 lemon, juice
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 bulb fennel, shaved
- handful of hazelnuts, roughly chopped
- sprinkle of blue cheese
- In a small bowl combine the lemon juice, honey + apple cider vinegar. While stirring, drizzle in the olive oil. Taste, and add some salt + pepper if desired.
- Toss the kale in the vinaigrette. Give the kale a quick massage and let it sit for ~20 minutes to soften.
- Once ready to devour, top the salad with fennel, hazelnuts + blue cheese. Toss + dive in.