I'm not sure when it happened, but I'm fairly sure I'm obsessed with pickled things. But mostly homemade pickled things so I can go in + then drink the rest of the pickling liquid because. I. can.
but as far as 2016 resolutions go, maybe mine will be to eat more pickled things? there's the cucumber kimchi + red kimchi at Korilla that's really good. There's the super sour dill pickled at Ben's that rock as well. but what about balsamic pickled peppers or apple cider vinegar pickled red onions? let me get back to you on that because I'll be experimenting with more pickles on the blog for sure.
Another idea i want to experiment with? flavored bread crumbs! I was listening to an episode of the Food Seen (idk which one, but if I find out I will make sure to update this!), and the guest + host started talking about old bay bread crumbs. I'm not sure if it's because I just had my first taste of old bay chips recently, but something really stuck out to me about this. so this recipe today features bread crumbs spiced up with five-spice powder. It adds that unique flavor changing up the boring chicken cutlet.
Ok now, so this recipe kind of feeds an army. You, you are not an army. but if you want to make this just for yourself, you can reduce everything down + get a little creative. enjoy!
quick pickled cucumbers + Five-spice chicken
- 2 packages chicken cutlets, thin or pound them
- 1 cup Italian bread crumbs
- 1/4 teaspoons of ground cloves, fennel seed, cinnamon, 1 star anise and chili pepper (or 1 tablespoon five spice powder)
- 1 egg w/ some milk
- 3 small cucumbers, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup water
- Pinch of whole mustard seeds
- pinch of whole coriander seeds
- start with the cucumbers. In a pot bring the sugar, vinegar, water, mustard seeds + coriander seeds to a boil.
- Pour this mixture over the cucumbers. let this sit in the fridge to bring the cucumbers back to a chill.
- Set up a dredging station to get your chicken coated! IN one bowl combine the italian bread crumbs + the "five spice" mix. in the only crack + whisk your egg with a splash of milk.
- heat a frying pan to medium heat with a nice layer of your favorite oil for frying.
- start breading to chicken. dip each cutlet in the egg mixture then coat completely in the italian bread crumb mixture.
- fry each cutlet until golden brown + cooked throughout.
- serve each cutlet with a nice big scoop of the pickled cucumbers! If you want to be extra fancy add some fresh mint too!