Avocado Kale Salad
Kale is that ingredient that everyone eats, but only if they do something to it.
Whenever kale is mentioned at work everyone chimes in with what they do to make kale actually edible. There are the people who will only consume kale chips, others that will eat it steamed with lots of cheese + others swear by shredding it up in a green smoothie.
I like all those approaches, but a simple kale salad isn't too scary if you pair kale with amazing ingredients.
Avocado dressing is my go-to once my avocados start to turn. It's a simple dressing that stands up against the bold texture of kale.
The dressing is flavorful, but so are apricots, hazelnuts + feta cheese. Each have a very complex texture + taste that add variety.
You might notice that this recipe uses one half of a lot of things: half an avocado, half a lemon + half an apricot. Personally I thought these proportions were spot on for me, so this is the perfect salad to make + share with someone else.
When was the last time you could say you're the reason someone fell in love with kale salad? Now's the time.
Avocado kale salad with feta + hazelnuts
- 1 cup fresh kale, packed
- 2 tablespoons feta, crumbled
- 1 tablespoon hazelnuts, crushed
- 1/2 apricot, sliced
- Avocado dressing
- 1/2 avocado
- 1/2 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1/2 lemon, juice
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- salt + pepper
- In a small bowl mash the avocado with the dijon mustard and lemon juice. Stir in the olive oil in a steady stream. Add salt + pepper to taste. Set aside.
- Toss together the kale with the feta, hazelnuts + apricots. Toss in the avocado dressing + enjoy right away.