Living in New York you are incredibly spoiled by the bagels.
Yes, the bagels. I swear they don't make them anywhere else like they do here. My go-to eats when I have no time to cook or grab lunch will always be a toasted sesame with vegetable cream cheese + tomato. Add lox if I'm feeling generous.
A few years ago I spent a few months living in London. It was my first time living abroad for an extend period of time. I was surprised by how quickly I acclimated to living in a new place with new people, but I missed bagels terribly.
All I wanted was a bagel, lox + some schmear. I found incredible lox, but they were served on paper thin crackers. I found decent bagels, but they were served with salt beef. Nothing was truly a New York bagel.
This recipe isn't for a bagel waffle, but it is inspired by the flavor of a perfect everything bagel with scallion cream cheese + lox. It's a simple way to enjoy the classic combination, without having to leave your home in the early am for the real deal.
Everything Waffles + Lox (great for 4-6 people)
- Prepared waffle mix
- 4-5 tablespoons green onions, thinly sliced
- 4-6 ounces cream cheese
- 8 ounces smoked salmon
- Everything bagel mix
- 1 teaspoon black sesame seeds
- 1 teaspoon white sesame seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon poppy seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- Start by prepping your batter. You can use your favorite waffle mix recipe or box mix. You want to prepare the batter according to your recipe's instructions. Fold the green onions into the mix to combine.
- Pre-heat your waffle maker. Spray the waffle maker with cooking spray to ensure the waffle will not stick. Cook each waffle + kept aside under tented tinfoil to keep warm. Each waffle should be slightly brown + crispy.
- Lay each waffle on its own plate. Using an ice cream scoop, scoop one ounce of cream cheese + dip the cream cheese into the everything bagel mix. Rotate to coat the cream cheese with the mix + scoop onto the waffle. Repeat for each waffle. Split the smoked salmon between the servings. Top with maple syrup if feeling sassy.