Err, where has the time gone because apparently it's almost 2016?
Ahhhh! At the moment I'm spending a lot of time trying to plan for the new year (key word, trying), but I find myself distracted by taste-testing christmas cookies + surfing the internetz for top cookbook lists of 2015. Amazon two day shipping is super dangerous at the moment, so I'm trying to stay focused.
Again, I said "trying".
But it's almost the end of the year, so it's time to start seriously thinking about all of the New Year's eats you are going to serve. I grew up with New Year's parties at my house with family friends + lots of food. My mom would do the planning, making sure there were enough little bites to get the night started. From pigs in a blanket to sushi, there was always something for someone. I have the best memories from these parties, but it was always lots of work!
Here's the deal. You don't need to go absolutely insane when you entertain on New Year's, but you should treat your guests to delicious bites. This prosciutto wrapped zucchini recipe is perfect, since you can do it ahead + then roast them right before your guests arrive. The zucchini is coated in a spicy/herby scented olive oil marinade + with crispy prosciutto you can do no wrong.
Note: You H A V E to eat these right away, since baked zucchini tends to get cold + soggy as it sits out which is no good for your fancy shindigs.
Looking for more ideas for New Year's?
Prosciutto wrapped zucchini
- 2 zucchinis
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- A sprinkle of cayenne pepper
- A sprinkle of ancho chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 lbs thinly sliced prosciutto
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Start by prepping the zucchini. Slice both zucchinis in half, lengthwise. Then cut each half in half again. Then slice each long piece of zucchini into halves or thirds, depending on the size of your zucchini.
- Toss the zucchini pieces with olive oil, cayenne pepper, ancho chili power + dried basil. This will give the zucchini even more flavor!
- Next wrap each piece of zucchini with a tiny slice of prosciutto on a lined baking sheet.
- Place the baking sheet in the oven for 20-25 minutes until the prosciutto is crisp + the zucchini has softened.
- Enjoy these right away while they are still warm.